Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] PG a Christian??

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:37:07 -0400

At 01:54 PM 6/28/03 -0400, Beth Curran wrote:
>So far as I'm concerned, faith and
>religion are two completely different things.  It seems clear to me that
>the members who write the songs have the former, but I have no idea
>about the latter.  If you make the distinction between the two it's
>easier to understand the apparent contradiction inherent in a
>non-believer being a MO fan.  Most of their so-called Christian songs
>are really about faith, which is why I like them so much, because I have
>faith - it's just not in a god

I wouldn't even go so far as to call it "faith" in my case - its more
belief in a pervasive life force and earthy spirituality.  As I come from a
societal and familial background imbued with Christian traditions, I will
occasionally turn to the teachings of Jesus (not the doctrines of
Christianity, a religion that adapted them to it's own purposes) on matters
of faith, ethics, and inspiration.  But I'm much more a follower than a
believer.

PG may identify as "Christian" but an earth spirituality seems to move
within him too.  One of my most favorite Oils songs, Bushfire, is a rather
beautiful earth prayer credited to PG that I have used in environmentalist
lay services at my Unitarian Universalist church.  Some former neighbors
and the folks we bought our house from firmly identified themselves as
fundamentalist Christians, yet they were firm believers in respect for and
stewardship of what they saw as "God's Creation".  For them, unsustainable
society and wasteful living were an abomination.

Similar values, very much different expressions, and plenty of common
ground to work with.

Back to weeding the garden and contemplating the sky,
Kate