Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: NMOC: Andropovosphere

jeffm@jeack.com.au jeffm@jeack.com.au
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:55:10 -1000

Hi Alexei,

Wow, this mail is very interesting in itself.

Did that "theatre thing" happen to you?  That must have been terrifying.

Can you see anything bad about the implementation of capitalism in the
Former Soviet Union?  Do you have the opinion that it was good and bad?
And are you still in the Soviet Union?  (I know your mail address ends in
usa.net, but stranger things have happened! :) )

Cheers,

Joffa

>Interesting... having lived in the Soviet Union all my life I never heard>
the
>term... who was it coined by and what does it refer to?  I do remember
th>e
>period very, very vividly, though (was 21-22 then): there you are sitting>
in a
>movie theater during the day, and the lights come up and all exits are
bl>ocked
>and some special units move in to check everybody's reasons for not being>
at
>work during business hours, and taking away those who did not sound
convi>ncing
>or had no excuse...  Andropov had been head of the KGB for many years
bef>ore
>he was elected to succeed Brezhnev, and hence these methods of his to
>discipline people.  I don't recall any resemblance of discussion in the
>post-Soviet media with regard to the reasons of his passing.  It is known>
for
>a fact that Andropov was a very sick man even before he took charge of
th>e
>country.  It is widely believed, though, that Andropov's attempts to
brin>g
>some order to the country predated many components of Gorbachov's
interna>l
>policies aimed at reviving initiative, etc.  The message being, he used
t>ough
>techniques just because he did not know any other.
>

>>It's "Andropovosphere" and it refers to a Yuri Andropov, very briefly
th>e >
>>leader of the Soviet Union in the 1980s prior to the Glasnost of
Gorbach>ev