Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC (Re: America a friend to all peaceful nations)

Dan Heaton dnheaton@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

(Note:  This would normally go on Powderpolitics, but
the original message was here, so sorry to clog the
inboxes with a non-Oils related reply)

Dave, no need to apologize.  I don't agree with a
boycott of all U.S. products. Being that I live here,
it would only probably come back to hurt people like
me. However, I agree with the general sentiment that
many of our American corporations are not acting
ethically.

However, I do not really agree with this line:
"NO PEACEFUL NATION ON THE PLANET HAS HAD A BETTER
FRIEND THAN THE USA."

I'm a bit tired and not in the mood to go into a long
response to it, but it's very simplistic and
unfortunately misses some sad truths.  Yes, the U.S.
has helped out other countries in need.  However, we
have also killed innocents (for shaky goals), averted
our eyes while other dictators murdered people because
they were our "friends", and helped revolutions that
did not end up aiding other nations.

I'm not saying that we're the big evil and every other
country is perfect.  However, the idea that we're the
"champion of the free" and promote peace is not
something I agree with.  How do you help peaceful
nations by starting a war and killing people?

Obviously just my opinion.  What do others think of
the statement?

Dan