Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Sell-outs

CYakaAL@aol.com CYakaAL@aol.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:28:32 EDT

BJ and all

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.  And we all know is that
today's music is a combination of art and commerce.  But when is enough,
enough?  And when does it become clear that an artist is more interested in
commerce than art?

In my case I'm not attacking a particular style of music or an attempt by an
artist to become more popular by playing more mainstream music.  What I am
attacking is someone who feels the need to showcase their talent at a
sporting event.  If that's not an appearance for the sake of commerce, I
don't know what is.

It also takes other forms.  Sheryl Crow who seems to be the favorite of so
many classic artists seems to be the biggest offender.  Her so-called single
(I say that because the idea of singles in CD days seems ludicrous) ends up
being released at the same it appears in an American Express commercial, that
also stars, guess who Sheryl Crow.

Do you want your artist pushing a product other themselves and their music.
I don't.  I mean how much money does one need.

And they're artist who still have integrity.  Midnight Oil, U2 having only
slipped once and we may forgive them for thinking they had a message behind
their appearance.  We have Neil Young who even coined the phrase, "this
note's for you."  So all is not lost.

But some of these acts are nothing more than capitalism in its worse form.
And when the money stops flowing so does the music.

AL