Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Songwriting (Was Lyrics Question)

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:36:16 -0500 (EST)

--0-247734607-1038252976=:97267

Greetings Powder Tribe,
Best example of an Oils masterpiece? So many songs to choose from, but IMHO it's got to be DREAMWORLD.  The guitar work is awesome, the lyrics beautiful in a menacing poetic way, and the tune packs such an emotional punch. It goes to the core of what the Oils are about if you ask me. If my friend hadn't heard the Oils, I'd start here; especially with the rest of D & D to contextualize this song - the whole work just hangs together so beautifully (the ultimate concept album eh?)
cheers,
bruce in calgary
"Walk through Edens' garden and then wonder as you go"

 Beth Curran <bcurran@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
This thread got me thinking about MO songwriting in general. So here's
a question for the musicians on the list: If you were working with
another writer who knew nothing about MO, what song would you play for
him/her to best demonstrate their songwriting talent? And what would
make you choose that song? (Let's not talk about the performance - just
the song as a stand-alone entity.)

I know a little about literary criticism but nothing about music, so
this will be an education for me - ain't never too old to learn - Beth

--0-247734607-1038252976=:97267

<P>Greetings Powder Tribe,
<P>Best example of an Oils masterpiece? So many songs to choose from, but IMHO&nbsp;it's got to be DREAMWORLD.&nbsp; The guitar&nbsp;work is awesome, the lyrics beautiful in a menacing poetic way, and the tune&nbsp;packs such an emotional punch. It goes to the core of what the Oils are about if you ask me. If my friend hadn't heard the Oils, I'd start here; especially with the rest of D &amp; D to contextualize this song&nbsp;- the whole work&nbsp;just hangs together so beautifully (the ultimate concept album eh?)
<P>cheers,
<P>bruce in calgary
<P>"Walk through Edens' garden and then wonder as you go"</P><FONT size=2>
<P><FONT size=1></FONT></P></FONT>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Beth Curran &lt;bcurran@columbus.rr.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</P>
--0-247734607-1038252976=:97267--