Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Songwriting (Was Lyrics Question)

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:40:41 -0500

This thread got me thinking about MO songwriting in general.  So here's
a question for the musicians on the list:  If you were working with
another writer who knew nothing about MO, what song would you play for
him/her to best demonstrate their songwriting talent?  And what would
make you choose that song?  (Let's not talk about the performance - just
the song as a stand-alone entity.)

I know a little about literary criticism but nothing about music, so
this will be an education for me - ain't never too old to learn - Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of rick
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 5:45 AM
To: Tari, Vince; 'Matthew Cowdery'; Glitch; workers
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Lyrics question

            I'm pretty sure that it was Pete.I've got an interview
somewhere
where Rob is talking about the songwriting process in the band and he
talks
about him or Jim will usually come in with a song and a full set of
lyrics
and either Pete relates to it straight away untouched and is comfortable
singing it or else he does some rewriting on it.

           I think Rob says that one song where this didn't work was
"drums
of heaven".

            Rob says:

"i don't know what the fuck it's about"