Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Random ramblings and questions]

thewave@oils-forever.com thewave@oils-forever.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:50:40 +0000 (GMT)

------=_Part_305_8221713.1011199840842

Yes, a lot of disappointment around here when _Breathe_ came out.  Funny to=
 me, _Earth and Sun and Moon_ seemed to generate a lot of complaints that i=
t was too similar to what they had done in the previous two albums; and _Br=
eathe_ generated complaints because it was too different!  Of course, the r=
eal beef with that CD was that it didn't have any of the real strong power =
& passion rockers the Oils are real known for.  Even _Blue Sky Mining_ had =
"Forgotten Years", title track, and "King of the Mountain", though most of =
the CD is more mellow.

I love _Breathe_.  I love that it's so different, and what it adds to the t=
otal, overall Midnight Oil catalog.  It makes the band a little more divers=
e and complete to me than without the CD.  I particularly like "E-Beat" and=
 "Barest Degree", along with "Underwater".  I even heard "Barest Degree" be=
ing played over the speakers at a The Gap store once!!  (And I heard anothe=
r track from the CD - "Sins of Omission" maybe?; can't remember - at a TGI =
Friday's.)

The band members themselves don't seem to like _Breathe_ as much though, so=
 I'll probably never hear any of its songs live again.  I guess I'm lucky e=
nough to have caught the _Breathe_ tour though.  Hearing "The Good Son" and=
 that version of "Dead Heart" they did then sure were big highlights, thoug=
h the recent shows overall were superior.

Jonathan