Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Random questions] breathe/time to heal

fluw fluwdot@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:07:05 -0600

jonathon typed: << The band members themselves don't seem to like _Breathe_
as much though, so I'll probably never hear any of its songs live again. >>

don't give up hope jonathon, the oils played - time to heal - a bunch of
times on the US fall 2001 tour!!! and it was oh so
beautiful!! although it may have only been for the US fans get over the
whole "boo!... terrorism" shock/awakening.
but really i think they are merely just playing what they know is their most
popular with the majority of the audiences. unfortunately and unjustly -
breathe isn't the most popular.

todd

----- Original Message -----
From: <thewave@oils-forever.com>
To: <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 10:50 AM
Subject: [Powderworks] Random ramblings and questions]

Yes, a lot of disappointment around here when _Breathe_ came out.  Funny to
me, _Earth and Sun and Moon_ seemed to generate a lot of complaints that it
was too similar to what they had done in the previous two albums; and
_Breathe_ generated complaints because it was too different!  Of course, the
real beef with that CD was that it didn't have any of the real strong power
& passion rockers the Oils are real known for.  Even _Blue Sky Mining_ had
"Forgotten Years", title track, and "King of the Mountain", though most of
the CD is more mellow.

I love _Breathe_.  I love that it's so different, and what it adds to the
total, overall Midnight Oil catalog.  It makes the band a little more
diverse and complete to me than without the CD.  I particularly like
"E-Beat" and "Barest Degree", along with "Underwater".  I even heard "Barest
Degree" being played over the speakers at a The Gap store once!!  (And I
heard another track from the CD - "Sins of Omission" maybe?; can't
remember - at a TGI Friday's.)

The band members themselves don't seem to like _Breathe_ as much though, so
I'll probably never hear any of its songs live again.  I guess I'm lucky
enough to have caught the _Breathe_ tour though.  Hearing "The Good Son" and
that version of "Dead Heart" they did then sure were big highlights, though
the recent shows overall were superior.

Jonathan