Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils Tours

The Oilman TheOilman@new.rr.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:48:30 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_02AF_01C1DB72.70A1EF60

Well, a lot of the bands that I follow (if not all of them) that are not =
mainstream acts do it this way, they have little or no label support and =
book dates as they get them, instead of waiting til they basically have =
the entire tour set and then announcing shows get put on site when =
confirmed. This is not unusual. In fact most bands are this way now, =
aside from the Pearl Jam's, Creed's and high profile acts that have =
label support up the whazoo.

Just look at it this way, if you weren't online and seeing dates posted =
by Ticketbastard or Pollstar, you would not see these dates until you =
got some sort of mailing from the band OR some sort of promotion in a =
magazine or something. The internet has done away with this sort of =
system. When places post they confirmed a show yesterday and the band is =
waiting to hear on 20 cities the venue/ticket place may post that show =
while the band is waiting for more to come in before releasing tour =
info. This is why the band's own site usually takes a while before they =
even post dates, why post before you are sure. The St. Louis show gets =
cancelled, heck, the band never announced that show even exists on their =
site, modern technology has done away with business as usual. Tickets go =
on sale for stuff a lot farther in advance nowadays too. Heck the first =
Chicago date went a sale weeks ago, I already have my tickets but the =
show the very next night may not go on sale for a week or two yet, this =
sort of stuff is just gonna happen.

WE ALL SHOULD BE HAPPY WE ARE FINDING OUT ABOUT SHOWS AND GETTING =
TICKETS BEFORE SOME PEOPLE EVERY HEAR A RADIO STATION UTTER A SHOW! I =
missed the entire ESM tour since I wasn't online and didn't hear or see =
one promotion for a tour at all here in the states!!! Now that sucks =
worse than slow tour dates!!!

IMHO this will be the way most bands do things from now on save huge =
acts that can book a 30 city tour in one week since arenas are lining up =
to book the show in each city!=20

Everyone keep their eyes and ears (and browsers open) and keep us posted =
on new dates we find.

Oilman

  ----- Original Message -----=20