Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Best Impression first impressions

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 14 06:30:40 MDT 2004

g'day all

got the hew H&G single today, so here's some first thoughts...

Both tracks just have "written by Rob Hirst" dripping from them (not
that that should be a surprise or anything).

I'm not really sure why they didn't just call this a Ghostwriters
single, though, given that Rick Grossman plays bass and Lee Moloney the
drums.

Essentially though these are acoustic tracks, and you'd barely notice if
the bass and drums weren't even there.

"Best Impression" is primarily sung by Paul Greene with the usual Rob
harmonies.  It's actually a track I could easily imagine the Oils doing,
although if that was the case I'd want to hear it done louder and
heavier.

"When God's Not Busy" is a little slower.  Reminds me a bit of "Last of
the Diggers".  This time Rob is the main voice.  Sounds like it could
have come straight out of the middle of "Fibromoon".  Probably not as
strong a track as "Best Impressions", but still not a bad song.  Not one
I could imagine the Oils doing.  I reckon it might be part of Rob's
"Byron Bay collection" of tunes.

I've already had someone send me a first crack at the chords for "When
God's Not Busy", so look out for a transcription at
http://ghostwriters.cjb.net soon!  ("Soon" could turn out to be anytime
between now and Christmas)

jeff...