Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Latest on PG

Ross Locket rosslocket at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 9 19:08:18 MDT 2004

Unfortunately workers this announcement today probably spells the end of any
chance of a farewell tour.

Latham confirms Garrett running
10:15 AEST Thu Jun 10 2004

Environmentalist and rock star Peter Garrett would run as Labor's candidate
for the Sydney federal seat of Kingsford Smith, Labor leader Mark Latham
said.

The announcement ends speculation about Mr Garrett running for the seat held
by Laurie Brereton, who last week announced he would retire at the next
election.

It comes despite intense opposition from local ALP branch members, who
wanted a local Labor Party member to stand, and a report Mr Garrett had not
voted in a federal election for a decade.

Mr Garrett resigned his position as president of the Australian Conservation
Foundation (ACF) to run for parliament, ACF executive director Don Henry
said.

Standing alongside Mr Latham at Sydney's Maroubra Beach at the heart of the
Kingsford Smith electorate, Mr Garrett said he would apply himself
diligently and honestly to the role.

He said he had been impressed by the way Labor had addressed the most
important environmental issue - climate change and global warming.

"If ever you wanted to see solid policy already in place, it's a policy that
I totally endorse and support, and you see it on climate change," Mr Garrett
said.

"Now that is one of the most compelling environment and social and national
and international issues that we face.

"The Howard government is virtually silent on it, Labor is not. I feel very
comfortable with that."

Asked whether he would offer Mr Garrett a frontbench position, Mr Latham
said: "That of course is a matter for the Labor caucus but I'd be surprised
that if at some time in the future Peter wasn't a frontline minister in a
Labor government.

"He's got a lot to offer. He's got a big contribution to make and of course
we want a contribution to be made in the most appropriate capacity.

"Inevitably, it's a matter for caucus, but in the fullness of time I'd
expect Peter to be there as one of our frontline contributors."

This is what Peter said In 1990 - he told The Sunday Telegraph: "I would
[run again] but I would only want to do it if a lot of people wanted me to,
because it's a dog's life surrounded by hypocrites and drunks. It's no way
to spend the rest of your working life. I want a more instinctive and
hopefully passionate sort of life."

Perhaps he sees it as a great challenge to change our politicians from
"hypocrites and drunks" to   intellgent caring people?