Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] where to find Kelly Gang

sweetapj at bellsouth.net sweetapj at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 17 18:40:14 MST 2004

Any idea if the album can be purchased anywhere online?

Jill in Atlanta

> From: "Richard Thompson" <thompsonrichard at optusnet.com.au>
> Date: 2004/02/17 Tue AM 04:58:49 EST
> To: "Tari, Vince" <Vince.Tari at nmhg.com>,
>         "'Beth Curran'" <bcurran at columbus.rr.com>,
>         "'Powderworks'" <powderworks at cs.colorado.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Intro to E&S&M
>
> Vince,
> The Kelly Gang also did a show at The Empire Hotel in Annandale on friday night and I went along. Rob was absent due to family commitments (The drummer from the ghosties stepped in) but Martin was present and in fine form. They were / are to do one more show after that one but I'm not sure when or where. They are an awesome band with all that talent on one stage and Martin's guitar playing really stood out. He even used an e-bow on a couple of songs and a metal slide on several more and just to rub it into everyone who wasn't there - there was maybe only about 30 people in the audience. I purchased their CD after the show -sold to me by the Oils stage manager Craig - it's titled "Looking for the Sun" and after playing it several times I would highly recommend it. The Credits list the band as Rob Hirst, Rick Grossman, Scotty Aplin and Jack Nolan (I'll get back to him in one moment) with additional guitars by Martin and also Brad Shepherd of the Guru's. 3 of the songs are wr!
 itten by Rick with all the others being credited to Jack Nolan although he gave a great deal of credit to Scott Aplin on Keyboards on the night. This guy is a great talent and I can't beleive that I haven't seen him in any other band or that I did not recognise him. If any one can shed some more light on him I'd be interested to know his background.