Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] oilslive cds jump?

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly at deadheart.org.uk
Fri Apr 16 02:05:25 MDT 2004

On Apr 16, ribman at manthey.com.au wrote:

> Hi again,
> My cd's have a second silence between each track ... does that mean
> that they were recorded Track-At-Once rather than Disk-At-Once?
> Can I re-record them from these and eliminate the glitch, by now using
> DAO, or is this just how it is ... ?

Yeah, sounds to me like they've been done TAO. I'm not sure if you can
easily eliminate these now. Essentially the pre-gaps (inserted in TAO
mode) are now part of each song. So re-copying it using DAO could include
the pre-gap. For example I use CloneCD for copying CDs - this does DAO.
Some of my CDs have pre-gaps containing audio so I use CloneCD as it
preserves the gaps and I don't lose any audio.

I'd say you either need software that can remove the pre-gaps
while it copies, or access to the original tracks so that you can remake
the CDs with DAO instead of TAO. Or you could rip the songs to WAV files,
and remake the CDs with software that doesn't include pre-gaps (as long as
your ripper doesn't include them.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and is not necessarily correct. I'd
say the best person to respond on this would be Miron - you there Miron?

This email is sponsored by the words pre, gap, TAO and DAO.

Cheers,

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly at deadheart.org.uk