Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] Breathe as a full album

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:38:14 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1235723215-1064266694=:91659

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....hrmmpphh....what the?

Pretty harsh words of condemnation all around. As one who loves the record, I'm compelled to defend it...

Breathe 'overproduced??' I find that it's distinctive because of its stark underproduction. And the very darkness of it may be part of its appeal in part. This is not for the 'shiny happy people holding hands' crowd - not that there's anything wrong with that!

Breathe live boring? I'd have to say the two live tracks on the DVD from Breathe are the best of the bunch. And in my limited live Oils experience, E-Beat live was a pinnacle, not to mention it pretty much encapsulates what the Oils are about lyrically. One of the most memorable songs of the night IMO.

Granted, Breathe doesn't sound much like anything else they've done but nobody else could have done it. So it's very much the Oils, part of who they are and what they stand for. It may be different sonically, ah, but then taste must never be disputed, eh?

"Disposable Breathe" - good gawd - one more crack like that and I'll have to insist that we meet on an island in the South Pacific and wrestle nude to the death!

bruce in calgary

PS...sorry to keep ranting but 'putrid country crap' is not precisley how I'd describe Home. I thought it was beautiful, but then so is just about anything Emmy Lou graces with her angelic voice and vibe. The late great Johnny Cash honoured her by citing her as his favourite female singer. High praise indeed. Her voice was a perfect counter point to PG, IMO. But I take it you don't exactly love the genre, Jon!   :)

Jonathan Hart <midnightoil@videotron.ca> wrote:
IMO, Breathe is disposable. For the most part it is dull, without
energy, and it seems like a series of B-sides that don't cut the
mustard. Pete's voice is lifeless. Home is putrid country crap.
Underwater is ridiculously lame. In the Rain is laughable. Even the
"rockers" on the album don't rock. It sucks!

IMO.