Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] THESE SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN YEARS - AN OILSLIVE PROJECT

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:36:33 -0400

I finally had time to check the set list and *sniff* I see the Cinci
2002 recording of Now or Never Land was chosen *sob* and that was my
most recent Oils show!  Waaaah!  (I refuse to say "last show")  The
audience really got down and wallowed around in the Oils experience
during that one.  It was too wonderful for words.

I think I'll go curl up with my Sydney 2000 sweater and cry my eyes out.
- Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff and Jane
Scott
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 8:19 AM
To: Powderworks; Oilslive
Subject: [Powderworks] THESE SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN YEARS - AN OILSLIVE
PROJECT

Greetings Powderworkers

A little less than a year ago, we all woke up one morning to find that
the
Oils are no more. Among the various reactions on Powderworks, the idea
was
floated that it would be fantastic if the band were to re-release their
entire catalogue - live.

Some time later, a group of Powderworkers took on the crazy notion that
this
was something we could somehow actually achieve.  So for the past nine
months (give or take), we've been hunting down rare recordings, trying
different combinations of songs, and attempting to disguise the
crossover
from a pristine soundboard to a noisy audience recording.

Different members of the group took on the different albums.  Although
there
was some input and suggestions from the others, ultimately it was each
individual's decision which versions of the songs were in. As a result
each
album is personal - that is each one of us chose the versions we liked
most
for their albums. They may not all be the best sounding version, we all
would have done each one differently, and some songs did not even have a
known live recording - but they are the ones that meant most to each one
of
us.

Of all the songs The Oils did live, there were only eight we weren't
able to
locate.  Someone Else To Blame, Maralinga, In The Rain, Gravel Rash and
Barest Degree have been omitted, and we used three demo versions - Naked
Flame, Basement Flat and Bakerman.

We are now ready to share this 15 CD collection - which we named "THESE
SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN YEARS" - with our fellow Powderworkers as one
huge
tree (we're talking 150 year-old eucalyptus with a four meter diameter
trunk
here).

The set consists of the Oils 13 studio releases in full, plus two discs
of
live rarities, b-sides, covers etc (including the studio parts of "The
Real
Thing").

For the full details on what tracks were chosen, we have an official
website
at http://home.iprimus.com.au/mrnoisy/oilslive/.  This is also where you
can
find specially designed artwork for each of the 15 discs.

To be a part of this, here is what you need to do:

1.	Send an email to livecd_s@hotmail.com (NOTE: that is NOT the
account this
message is coming from!  Do NOT attempt to sign up by replying to this
message - you will be ignored!)
2.	In the subject put your state/country, main branch, branch or
leaf and
how many copies you are willing to send out - for example
Australia/Branch/3.  If you don't know what we are talking about with
all
this tree, branch, leaf stuff then you want to be a leaf, and you don't
need
the number on the end.
If you are signing up as a branch, remember that each copy means 15
DISCS -
don't sign up for more than you're willing/able to follow through.
3.	In the body provide your full name and location.  For the top
few people
we want to use ftp rather than mail to get copies out faster and
cheaper, so
if you want to be a branch and have a fast internet connection put those
details in here as well.

Signups for the tree will remain open until the end of the month.  After
that we will build and publish the structure.

Thanks,

The OILSLIVE group