Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: THESE SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN YEARS - AN OILSLIVE PROJECT

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:33:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

first of all I would like to go on record and personally thank Jeff,
Cheryl, Nathan and Matt. It was a lot of fun doing this and at least
for me has helped me keep the Oils alive.

Some have asked about branching and burning ....

To be a branch you must be willing and able to crank out many CDs
fast and without errors.

fast - in a multi-level tree you might end up with 15-20 people
under you so unless you are willing to commit to a quick turnaround
time please be a leaf. remember - this is a 15 CD gig and it is
unfair to keep people waiting.

without errors - in this day and age there is really no reason to
not have perfect copies each time so here are some do's and dont's

1. burn DAO - disc-at-once. TAO (track-at-once) will force a 2 sec.
gap between tracks. it sucks and is a pain to get rid of. if you can
explicitly set the gap to 0 sec. as well as burn DAO it is even
better.

2. do not make copies on the fly (i.e. cd-to-cd copy). please,
please use EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de). it is easy to use,
free and is the only software that guarantees perfect copies. if you
need help - drop me a line.

3. do not burn at max speed. the slower the better but time is also
of essence so I would recommend 8x max. the faster you go the more
likely it is errors will creep in.

4. use brand name CDs

5. if you can use/trade SHN - do so. it is more reliable than audio

6. the way I usually do it is extract using EAC as many CDs as I can
fit on my hard drive, burn the same CD as many times as I need and
repeat the process until I am done. I then delete the files and
continue with the next batch

if you have any questions, drop me a line.

=====
Miron

   How could people get so unkind?