Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (No Man's) Land

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:10:46 +0800

It was 1993, as a fundraiser for Clayoquot Sound. It was released as a
single in it's own right, with all the collaborators named on the cover
(Crash Vegas, Daniel Lanois, Hothouse Flowers, Midnight Oil and The
Tragically Hip).

Written by Rob Hirst, Jim Moginie, Peter Garrett, Gord Downie, Daniel
Lanois, and Liam O'Maonlai.

Performed by Crash Vegas, Hothouse Flowers, Daniel Lanois & band, Midnight
Oil and the Tragically Hip.  Obviously that doesn't give much info on who is
actually playing what!  Clearly each verse is by a different vocalist, so
Pete's easy enough to pick.  The "every action has an opposite reaction" bit
sounds like Rob and Bones are in there.  Who knows on the rest, but they
played it live a bit at the time, and by the writing credits I'd suggest it
was primarily an Oils song with a few (mainly lyrical) contributions from
the others.  That's just supposition on my part, though.

> I have downloaded "No man's land" from
> ftp://powderworks:truganini@scmods.serveftp.net/, and among the b-sides
> there I notice the instrumental "Eye Contact". It's a live performance,
> but it's not the same version as appears as the b-side of "The Real
> Thing"? When was this version from, and why don't you have the actual
> b-side version of it (that was "Eye Contact/Pictures" live)?

It is the one from The Real Thing.  (But without "Pictures", obviously!)

jeff...