Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Willie's Bar & Grill

jeffm@jeack.com.au jeffm@jeack.com.au
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:11:16 -1000

thanks kate.

this brings up an important moral point, and it's really interesting to
read other's points of view on this.

let's look at this again.

we all want him to write honestly.  about everything.  life on the road,
relationships with band members, audience, blah blah blah.

now, my guess (and half of it is supported) is that we don't want him to
write his honest reflections, if they summarize something we think he knows
little about, especially if they are negative.  however, if he was to write
critically about things that he knows most about - ie. relationships in his
life (band members, family, mates, etc.) we would applaud him for his
honesty.  don't we see something inherently wrong here.  wouldn't we be
conveniently forgetting the lives of his mates and families - and a
confidentiality he had possibly betrayed?

surely, my idea is that a good man (if he was to write critically /
honestly) would be more direct about things (certainly people) that were
less close to him.

and if we're going to take the line that people have a right to know about
private behaviour, then pity us all...

to boil this all back down again, i guess if we see his critisms of
cleveland as a problem and something he should not do, then we have NO
RIGHT to ask him or anyone else to be honest about things / people or
places that are closest to him, that bring far more and greater possibility
to hurt.

cheers,
joffa