Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Cover songs

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 00:58:25 EDT

--part1_1e6.9762120.2c0055f1_boundary

In a message dated 5/22/2003 11:13:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nedkellytheking@hotmail.com writes:

> I stand somewhat corrected....you're right Merry Clayton sang on the album
> recording of Gimme Shelter.  I guess I was thinking of the Stones 1969 tour
> in which they toured with Jefferson Airplane.  Grace Slick would often sing
> on Gimme Shelter...at least that's what I've read and have heard from my
> dad.  The 1969 Stones tour is the same one that had the disastrous Hell's
> Angels gig.
> Heidi

To set the record straight - the Stones did not tour with the Jefferson
Airplane
in 1969 (those honors went to Ike & Tina Turner, and I believe Chuck Berry
played some shows also).   The Airplane did appear at the Altamont Speedway
gig with the Stones, and singer Marty Balin was punched out by a Hell's Angel
while trying to break up a fight.  If you haven't seen it, watch Gimme
Shelter.
It's a fascinating documentary of the Stones trek through America in 1969,
and half the movie is devoted to the ill-fated free concert at Altamont.

Mike

--part1_1e6.9762120.2c0055f1_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 5/22/2003 11:13:42 PM Pacific Dayli=
ght Time, nedkellytheking@hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I stand somewhat corrected....y=
ou're right Merry Clayton sang on the album <BR>
recording of Gimme Shelter.&nbsp; I guess I was thinking of the Stones 1969=20=
tour <BR>
in which they toured with Jefferson Airplane.&nbsp; Grace Slick would often=20=
sing <BR>
on Gimme Shelter...at least that's what I've read and have heard from my <BR=

dad.&nbsp; The 1969 Stones tour is the same one that had the disastrous Hell=
's <BR>
Angels gig.<BR>
Heidi<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
To set the record straight - the Stones did not tour with the Jefferson Airp=
lane<BR>
in 1969 (those honors went to Ike &amp; Tina Turner, and I believe Chuck Ber=
ry<BR>
played some shows also).&nbsp;&nbsp; The Airplane did appear at the Altamont=
 Speedway<BR>
gig with the Stones, and singer Marty Balin was punched out by a Hell's Ange=
l<BR>
while trying to break up a fight.&nbsp; If you haven't seen it, watch Gimme=20=
Shelter.&nbsp; <BR>
It's a fascinating documentary of the Stones trek through America in 1969,<B=

and half the movie is devoted to the ill-fated free concert at Altamont.<BR>
<BR>
Mike <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1e6.9762120.2c0055f1_boundary--