Midnight Oil

[Re: [Powderworks] time signatures]

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Wed, 21 May 2003 21:25:41 -0500

I have to agree with Damien on this one...time signatures and other music
theory stuff is entirely boring.  It can be useful if you want to play stuff
like classical music, but for the most part it sucks the joy out of playing
and listening music.  I've played cello for ten years and guitar for seven
and I wouldn't hesitate to say that playing cello is painfully annoying to
me...it is way too technical and because of the fact that way too much focus
is put on the theory aspects of the music, I pretty much hate it.  I never
enjoyed taking lessons and I find it much more useful to learn things on
your own.  Because the music theory aspect was forced on me when I learned
cello, I hardly even play cello anymore because it's hardly enjoyable
anymore whereas when I'm playing guitar (which I picked up on my own) I can
be a lot more creative.  As for guitar...although I know theory and read
music I would never ever think about using any of that to play.  It is a lot
more enjoyable to just go with what you're feeling and go by what you think
sounds great than count out beats and measures and mess with scales.
Unfortunately for me...I have to go through a semester of tedious music
theory class to fulfill my Music Industry minor...man oh man is that gonna
be one long semester *yawn* (or should a say pure torture) :-P

Heidi

'Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone,
I must know something to know it's so wrong'
                    -Midnight Oil