Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] More on untrained singers

Kate kate@dnki.net
Fri, 16 May 2003 18:48:54 -0400

--=====================_39905951==_.ALT

I think Jack White of White Stripes has had some interesting things to say
about rules lately.  He seems to think that you need them in order to
produce anything coherent and guide exploration.

So it seems that the real trick is to make your own and live by them, not
to not have them at all.  Some of the wankier free-form jazz that creates
cognitive dissonance on a grand scale suffers most from such a lack of
coherent structure that you can't hang your brain on it.

At 12:52 PM 5/16/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>Greetings Cyber Chums,
>
>Regarding Damien's comments about rules in music, or how to poke a
>cornered wombat with a sharp stick:
>
>Without rules of some sort to begin with, then isn't improvisation
>meaningless? Charlie Parker's playing wouldn't be described by many as
>sterile and lifeless, and it was his ability to transcend the form while
>remaining rooted in it that was his particular genius was it not?
>
>I think the rules are always implied in any genre. That's what
>makes  creativity possible, and improv. interesting. Otherwise it's a
>cacophony, which may have its place in a general category of 'interesting
>sounds' or within music to add colour or quality. But I question whether
>musical creativity is even possible without some kind of discipline within
>which to work and from which to depart.
>
>I agree too much formal training can suck the life out of any musician.
>But I'd give my ear lobes for the chops of some of those classically
>trained cats, or those old time jazz players.
>
>Well, I'm off to flail away on a Danelectro with an arrowhead flint,
>breaking rules and strings in a mostly a-musical frenzy.
>
>ch'ears,
>
>bruce in calgary
>
>[name removed] <example@example.com> wrote:
>if you listen
>to anything off the Dreaming there is no rules
>applied anywhere!.
>
>  Art of any
>kind should have no rules!!!!
>

>constantly reminds me how shallow and lifeless
>Jazz and other formal musical styles often are.
>

>Post your free ad now! <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Canada Personals

--=====================_39905951==_.ALT

I think Jack White of White Stripes has had some interesting things to
say about rules lately.&nbsp; He seems to think that you need them in
order to produce anything coherent and guide exploration.<br>
So it seems that the real trick is to make your own and live by them, not
to not have them at all.&nbsp; Some of the wankier free-form jazz that
creates cognitive dissonance on a grand scale suffers most from such a
lack of coherent structure that you can't hang your brain on it.<br>
At 12:52 PM 5/16/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Regarding Damien's comments about rules in music, or how to poke a
cornered wombat with a sharp stick:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Without rules of some sort to begin with, then isn't improvisation
meaningless? Charlie Parker's playing wouldn't be described by many as
sterile and lifeless, and it was his ability to transcend the form while
remaining rooted in it that was his particular genius was it not?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I think the rules are always implied in any genre. That's what
makes&nbsp; creativity possible, and improv. interesting. Otherwise it's
a cacophony, which may have its place in a general category of
'interesting sounds' or within music to add colour or quality. But I
question whether musical creativity is even possible without some kind of
discipline within which to work and from which to depart.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I agree too much formal training can suck the life out of any musician.
But I'd give my ear lobes for the chops of some of those classically
trained cats, or those old time jazz players.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Well, I'm off to flail away on a Danelectro with an arrowhead flint,
breaking rules and strings in a mostly a-musical frenzy.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
ch'ears,<br>
&nbsp;<br>
bruce in calgary<br>
<dl>
<dd>if you listen
<dd>to anything off the Dreaming there is no rules
<dd>applied anywhere!.<br>

<dd>&nbsp;Art of any
<dd>kind should have no rules!!!!<br>

<dd>constantly reminds me how shallow and lifeless
<dd>Jazz and other formal musical styles often are.<br>

</dl><br>
Post your free ad now! <a href="http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/">Yahoo!