Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Scarey Workers Revisited

Kate kate@dnki.net
Tue, 13 May 2003 20:00:07 -0400

--=====================_264171298==_.ALT

Art is created by the artist, and children are created by their
parents.  Both are shepherded and formed and tended by their creators and
keepers to a certain degree, but art, like children, eventually assumes a
life of its own.

Just as others do not necessarily know or see your children like you do,
free range humans in general society will not perceive, react to, or
interpret your art just like you do.  That property of artistic expression
and appreciation has real transcendent possibilities which imbue art with
great power.  It is also a fundamentally uncontrollable aspect of artistic
endeavor that lends itself to chaos, particularly when the work is richly
textured, multi-layered, opaque, and complex.

Art does not exist in a vacuum and it cannot exist in a vacuum.  It could
be postulated that a "work of art" is more than its physical presence and
rendering upon the senses, but also consists of its interaction with the
receiving human consciousness.  It is a human interaction mediated by
symbol and form, where the transmitting nor the receiving psyche may
manipulate one another, but may never fully control one another.

Oh dear.  This is degenerating, isn't it?  Stop me before I gestalt
again!  Oh angst of the zeitgeist of schadenfreude arrrrrrrrgggggggg <men
in white coats arrive, drag Kate from the keyboard>

At 03:36 PM 5/13/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>Lord yes...Bedlam Bridge as a metaphor for the cross - blush blush - or
>how about Quinella H and Drums of Heaven as poetic metaphors for heroin
>addiction...poetic license cuts both ways, and imagination knows no bounds
>(or shame for that matter.)
>
>In fact, I'm never sure what anything REALLY means...  ;)
>
>cheers,
>
>bruce in calgary
>
>Cheryl H <ooiiilllss@hotmail.com> wrote:
>hey Bruce!!
>
>does Bedlam Bridge ring a bell?? ;) that discussion stopped when I
>transcribed from the BSM interview disc Rob's and Pete's comments about the
>song.
>
>Cheryl
>

>Post your free ad now! <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Canada Personals

--=====================_264171298==_.ALT

Art is created by the artist, and children are created by their
parents.&nbsp; Both are shepherded and formed and tended by their
creators and keepers to a certain degree, but art, like children,
eventually assumes a life of its own.<br>
Just as others do not necessarily know or see your children like you do,
free range humans in general society will not perceive, react to, or
interpret your art just like you do.&nbsp; That property of artistic
expression and appreciation has real transcendent possibilities which
imbue art with great power.&nbsp; It is also a fundamentally
uncontrollable aspect of artistic endeavor that lends itself to chaos,
particularly when the work is richly textured, multi-layered, opaque, and
complex.<br>
Art does not exist in a vacuum and it cannot exist in a vacuum.&nbsp; It
could be postulated that a &quot;work of art&quot; is more than its
physical presence and rendering upon the senses, but also consists of its
interaction with the receiving human consciousness.&nbsp; It is a human
interaction mediated by symbol and form, where the transmitting nor the
receiving psyche may manipulate one another, but may never fully control
one another.<br>
Oh dear.&nbsp; This is degenerating, isn't it?&nbsp; Stop me before I
gestalt again!&nbsp; Oh angst of the zeitgeist of schadenfreude
arrrrrrrrgggggggg &lt;men in white coats arrive, drag Kate from the
keyboard&gt;<br>
At 03:36 PM 5/13/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:<br>
metaphor for the cross - blush blush - or how about Quinella H and Drums
of Heaven as poetic metaphors for heroin addiction...poetic license cuts
both ways, and imagination knows no bounds (or shame for that
matter.)<br>
&nbsp;<br>
In fact, I'm never sure what anything REALLY means...&nbsp; ;)<br>
&nbsp;<br>
cheers,<br>
&nbsp;<br>
bruce in calgary<br>
<dl>
<dd>hey Bruce!!<br>

<dd>does Bedlam Bridge ring a bell?? ;) that discussion stopped when I
<dd>transcribed from the BSM interview disc Rob's and Pete's comments
about the
<dd>song.<br>

<dd>Cheryl<br>

</dl><br>