Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Rebuilding America's Defenses (was NMOC - mural and war )

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:11:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I did not support the war before it began. Not becasue I think
Saddam is a good guy, or because I object in principle to the use of
preemptive force or because I think the US has no right to use
preemptive force to defend itself. I did because the real reasons
behind this war are articulated in this excerpts below. These
reasons were never revealed or discussed by the US govt. the US
govt. has not told us the whole truth. There is good and bad in the
plan below, as is in everything. But until the real agenda is on the
table for discussion, the agenda that is visible is a decoy. Having
said that, now that the war has started, we should do whatever in
our power to have it achieve its goals (the stated ones) asap. this
is not to say we cannot voice our disagreement but we should realize
we have lost this round.

BTW - if anyone wants a copy of this article, let me know. it is a
800K file.

ABOUT THE PROJECT FOR THE
NEW AMERICAN CENTURY

Established in the spring of 1997, the Project for the New American
Century is a nonprofit,
educational organization whose goal is to promote American global
leadership.
The Project is an initiative of the New Citizenship Project. William
Kristol is chairman
of the Project, and Robert Kagan, Devon Gaffney Cross, Bruce P.
Jackson and John R.
Bolton serve as directors. Gary Schmitt is executive director of the
Project.
“As the 20th century draws to a close, the United States stands as
the
world’s most preeminent power. Having led the West to victory in
the Cold War, America faces an opportunity and a challenge: Does
the United States have the vision to build upon the achievement of
past decades? Does the United States have the resolve to shape a
new century favorable to American principles and interests?
“[What we require is] a military that is strong and ready to meet
both present and future challenges; a foreign policy that boldly and
purposefully promotes American principles abroad; and national
leadership that accepts the United States’ global responsibilities.
“Of course, the United States must be prudent in how it exercises
its
power. But we cannot safely avoid the responsibilities of global
leadership of the costs that are associated with its exercise.
America
has a vital role in maintaining peace and security in Europe, Asia,
and the Middle East. If we shirk our responsibilities, we invite
challenges to our fundamental interests. The history of the 20th
century should have taught us that it is important to shape
circumstances before crises emerge, and to meet threats before they
become dire. The history of the past century should have taught us
to embrace the cause of American leadership.”

=====
Miron

   How could people get so unkind?