Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] oils news/Nice things to say about PG

James Warren jimcwarren@earthlink.net
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:25:08 -0700

--Apple-Mail-2--393902633

We all have our faults.  No one is perfect.  I for one respect people's=20=

opinions, but I wish that we would not speculate on this list regarding=20=

a man's motives (in this case, Peter's) and in the process claim that=20
it is his mistakes that have caused a heap of trouble for the band.  It=20=

simply is not fair.

I appreciate the Oils news, but if the subject line says news, let's=20
just leave it at that.  And if we are going to speculate and in the=20
process criticize without the facts, then let the subject reflect that=20=

that is what we are doing, so that other people don't read it and=20
expect news and instead read something speculative.

And please let me add that I only know Peter well enough to really=20
really really appreciate his performance, his connection to fans, his=20
energy, his passion, and his care for other humans.  And I did meet him=20=

once and he was friendly.

-Jim

> At 12:23 PM 6/9/03 +1000, Erin Oneill wrote:
>
> The bald one=A0 recieved a Queens birthday honour thing today (AM,=20
> Member of the general division: Peter Robert GARRETT, Mittagong NSW.=20=

> Service to the community and the music industry).=A0 I note that he=20
> hasn't said no to it on principle (as did Paul Keating a few years=20
> ago...).
> =A0
> There was a review of Rob's book by Iain Shedden in the Australian=20
> (can't find it on the website).=A0 It was quite negative and =
effectively=20
> said that it was too fragmented in its approach.=A0 It skipped across=20=

> the surface of issues and did not delve deely enough into any one=20
> thing to be satisfying.=A0 More or less saying that as a novelist Rob=20=

> makes a very good drummer.=A0 I can't remember who on the list wrote=20=

> similar comments, but it was someone who wrote one of the first=20
> reviews of the book.=A0 Iain shedden is also a drummer and has written=20=

> reviews for Oils albums as well as ghosties (fibromoon) for the=20
> Australian.=A0 He has always been honest in his appraisal of the =
efforts=20
> of the band.
> =A0
> As for the departure of Pete... for a long time I have suspected that=20=

> there were significant tensions between rob and pete... certainly at=20=

> the anu bar gig last year, pete had a go at french philosophy (which=20=

> might have pissed rob off).=A0 In many ways those two are like chalk =
and=20
> chese.=A0 I think that Pete walking out just when they had such a =
strong=20
> album t promote and when there were so many european fans wanting to=20=

> see them was a bit stupid and selfish (I am assuming that there was no=20=

> family crisis or health problems) and it's a fair bet to say that Rob=20=

> would have been really pissed off at that.=A0 Through other people I=20=

> have been informed that pete could be a bit precious=A0 - they were=20
> certainly not impressed with his behaviour in their dealings with=20
> him.=A0 I suspect he was starting to believe his own press a bit too=20=

> much.=A0 Of all the people in the band, Pete is the one I like least -=20=

> he assumes too much and musically he is the least talented. -=A0 a=20
> showman, not a musician (but hey, they were great gigs and the music=20=

> will live on for some time to come...!!!).=A0 I think that if the=20
> remainders could find another singer (female) I think that would work=20=

> very well, although they shouldn't call themselves the remainders as=20=

> that forever defines them as leftovers of midnight oil rather than=20
> being a new band producing music in its own name.
> =A0

--Apple-Mail-2--393902633

<excerpt>

</excerpt>

We all have our faults.  No one is perfect.  I for one respect
people's opinions, but I wish that we would not speculate on this list
regarding a man's motives (in this case, Peter's) and in the process
claim that it is his mistakes that have caused a heap of trouble for
the band.  It simply is not fair.

I appreciate the Oils news, but if the subject line says news, let's
just leave it at that.  And if we are going to speculate and in the
process criticize without the facts, then let the subject reflect that
that is what we are doing, so that other people don't read it and
expect news and instead read something speculative.

And please let me add that I only know Peter well enough to really
really really appreciate his performance, his connection to fans, his
energy, his passion, and his care for other humans.  And I did meet
him once and he was friendly.

-Jim

<excerpt>