Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What got you started?

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

I was married with 3 kids before I got the bug.  I had
heard the stuff from D&D and BSM on the radio/MTV and
knew that I liked it, but never got sucked in.  About
'98 I was cruising the record club catalog and saw
20,000 Watts RSL and said "Hey honey, remember
listening to these guys?  They have that crazy bald
lead singer guy and did Beds are Burning a few years
ago, maybe I'll pick up this Greatest Hits just for
kicks".  She said "Sure, why not".
Biggest mistake she ever made.  I was totally hooked
by the diversity of sound, the musicianship, and
mostly the PASSION.  I'm sort of a small scale
activist (Yeah, married with 3 kids and a mortgage
sucks the activist seed straight out of you, but I
made that choice long ago) and whatever the Oils sang
about they did it with passion.  Over the 20 years of
songs that are on that CD, they have sung about so
many causes and so many themes that the only constant
for me  was the passion.  I didn't know Koscuisko from
Kalamazoo but the music and the message got me up and
got me dancing.  In short order I bought the entire
back catalong and I now own everything except TRT.
So, while PG defined the band and exemplifies that
passion, I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for the
music and the way they approach their craft.

Randy