Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC kitten names

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:32:08 -0400

I adopted a brother and sister pair of cats about four years ago, and
waited for their names to arrive after a period of observation.  This was a
bit easier since they were already almost ten months old at the time.  For
me this is a family tradition.

The boy cat settled in immediately and began slapshotting milk jug lids
around the dining room in twenty minute sessions with rest breaks.  By the
end of the third my husband tagged him "Mario LeMiaow", famous cat hockey
player. (for those who don't know puck, Mario Lemieux is the legendary
hockey player who survived lymphoma at the height of his career and
eventually recovered to return and kick serious tail well into his 40s for
the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Canadian Olympic Team).

The girl cat, in her settling-in behavior, felt compelled to occupy the
highest possible space in any room she was in.  An agile leaper, she even
tried for the curtain rods!  These reckless feats of aviation by a female
living in this neighborhood did not go unnoticed.  She has been known as
"Amelia Aercatt" ever since. (The real Amelia Earhart lived in our
neighborhood for a couple of years - the library in my sons' new school is
named for her sister Muriel, a prominent local educator who died a couple
of years ago).

The names sound long, but are usually shortened to just their first names
unless they are in trouble.  Mario and Amelia also go quite well together
as a pair of names for two very different cats. (they were code named
Jingle and Jangle at the shelter ... yuck).

So I would say the best route is to study them and see what sorts of quirks
and habits they have.  Like all "twins" they are individuals and deserve
their own identities.  Their names will show up eventually.  Relax, enjoy,
interact, observe ...