Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Sustainable Living

Janice Coleman jec_coleman@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:17:58 -0400

Good words and an interesting question I have wrestled with myself.  I am
very much an environmentalist.  I am a vegetarian and raising my daughter
that way as well.  I work in an industry that has, in the past, been
horrible to the environment.  I am an interior designer for commercial
interiors.  However, I try to make the best of where I am and how I can
improve the environment from the situation/job, etc I am in.  For instance,
I started recycling programs in the last job I had and the current one.  I
have encouraged people to use both sides of the paper.  It's nice to see so
many people participating.
I also am involved in the LEEDs certification program which stands for
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.  This is a rating system for
people who want their buildings to be green or sustainable.  What makes me
very happy is this has really taken off.  Tons of architects and designers
are flocking to the classes to get accredited in order to work on green
projects (many clients are calling for it).
I also recently purchased a hybrid car.  I don't buy beauty products tested
on animals.  I do however commute 45 minutes to work each day, live in the
suburbs, and don't always buy organic food.  You just have to make the best
of your situation, teach others in the process, and steer your situation as
best you can towards environmentalism.
-Janice