Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] what ever happened to my letter to RS

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:22:15 -0600

Hey Everyone

Well a while back some of you may remember that I had written a letter to
Rolling Stone magazine about their lack of coverage on the Oils breakup.  I
was extremely excited when I got the following email in reply to my letter:

Heidi,

Thank you for your letter to Rolling Stone.

We're interested in publishing it, but first we need to confirm the spelling
of your full name and adress.

Example:

John Taylor,
Austin, Texas

please write me back ASAP

thanks,
Evan Schlansky
Rolling Stone

I emailed Evan back immediately.  Well...I thought that finally I may have
been able to get the Oils some credit in some way, and that perhaps RS was
finally going to pay attention to what really mattered in the music world.
Well sadly enough, I have checked the most recent issues of RS and still no
letter.  Instead there was an over abundance of letters having to do with
Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears.  I am saddened to see what the world
of music has come to.  And mostly I am saddened that the media shamelessly
glorifies untalented, commercialized, material shit that cannot even be
considered music, over musicians that in my own opinion are pure geniuses.
I'm only 19 now, and more and more am I scared to even wonder what music
will be like 30 years from now.  I mean seriously, am I going to have to
live with stuff that keeps getting worse and worse or is it ever going to
get any better?  I have had to resort to older music which slowly is dying
out because people are dying, or in the Oils case, bands are breaking up.
The fact that RS didn't even recognize who the 'real' musicians are in this
world is completely ridiculous.  I don't know about you guys, but personally
I'm sick of the good music being replaced by shit.  Rolling Stone is only
hurting the music world even more by killing everything that is good.  After
what has happened, I am even more disgusted than I was before and I think
that I will have to listen to some Oils to wash my mind clean of all those
nasty, cliche pop tunes.  Please bring on the great music that has meaning
to it...something that actually means something and makes an impact in my
life.  Ok...sorry for the rant, but I did think that all you Powderworkers
would like to know that despite my efforts, still no victory for the quality
musicians.

Heidi