Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oils Away...

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:02:36 -0500

This is so weird.  I listened to RSIS three times today.  Remember some
posts a few months back about how the Oils have always chosen the last
songs on their albums as carefully as the first ones?  The last words on
that album (well, the last intelligible ones anyway, I've never been
able to understand the rant) are just wonderful

I can get lost
I can get confused
Something's misplaced
Maybe for good

Absolutely gorgeous, and unfortunately all too applicable to our world
right now.  Good night from Little Texas - oh, sorry, I mean the great
state of Ohio, where we're doing our best to thin out our Death Row as
efficiently as Texas has.  Yessirree, there's one less mouth to feed in
Ohio today!  John Ashcroft for President!

Still saving my pin money for airfare to Oz and keeping my hopes
up..........- Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of Kate Parker
Adams
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:02 PM
To: Heidi Shenk
Cc: the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca; powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Oils Away...

I'm sitting here, cradling my autographed BSM windmill EP, tumbling it
in
my hands.  Rob and Martin on one side, Bones and Jim on the other.  I am
on
deadline, putting together two research proposals in environmental
public
health - one of which is entirely their fault.

I cannot put my hands to the keyboard to outline the stronger one, the
one
that fits the request for projects so well, the one I am throwing my
heart
and soul at, the one that involves the story of a community and a
polluter
and handwringing state officials hiding conclusively behind inadequate
science without listening to my brain background music queue up "they're

crossing their fingers they pay the truthmakers" pop up in my head.  I
can't type without thinking about the people I now know who live in that

area.  It is my grand vision to make public health analysis more
possible
with improved computers and public access tools and the incorporation of

lay-led research and discovery data - and this dream is all coming
together
around those two degrees of separation between my ranting on Powderworks

and a rugged little river valley with a big nuclear health problem.

I will set the EP down now, right in front of the monitor, and type on
into
the night.

p.s. Did anyone else pull out Red Sails when UN Weapons Inspector Hans
Blix
told Iraq that it was "Minutes to Midnight"?