Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Fwd: Impeach the Pres,

craiggy@ozemail.com.au craiggy@ozemail.com.au
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:24:03 +1100

Two points I think mentioning here:

1) The US is notorious for witholding funding to the UN. So the statement that the UN is one good thing the US invests in in, is in fact not true. They choose to use the UN when it suits them, and have been vetoed before and ignored the UN. They need UN support to get people behind this war.

2) The point about the war in Afghanistan being or not being "pre-emptive". If it is to be argued that this "war was anything but pre-emptive" and was due to the 9/11 attacks, you have to accept the argument that these terrorist attacks represented an attack by the sovereign government of Afghanistan. This argument does not stand up to close scrutiny. Attacking the people (3000 killed apparently according to UN numbers) and infrastructure of a country whose repressive government harbour terrorists who most likely were involved in instigating the terrorist attacks, thereby killing and continuing to kill innocent victims (through unexploded cluster bomb attacks) does not, in my books, constitute a just war. Of course, I'm open to suggestions...

Craig