Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Guitars that sing! (NMOC)

[name removed] example@example.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:16:10 +1000

Not to take anything away from old Mark Knob
Gobbler! He has got some incredible chops (though i
do find him a little on the middle of the road side of
things). Though if all us axe men had the loot to buy
those guitars and amps of that era and in that kind of
shape we could all achieve some serious sweet tone.

Now i have some good gear of my own though the
other day while doing some recording for a friend
i was able to borrow, a late 1950's Gretsch and both
Fender Deluxe and Champ amps of the same era.
And the tone improvement was just something else.
The point i make is i have spent several grand on my
axes and gear though as close as i can get is late
sixties/ seventies models in my collection. If i had
the 10's of thousands to spend on real classic gear
(like those other cats can) my tone would be up there
too (only god or some greater force could get my
playing up to that standard!) though getting great tone
goes along way to achieving some of this.

>From: Bruce Robertson <the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca>
>To: Michael <mbtigger@charter.net>
>CC: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
>Subject: Re: [Powderworks] new music recommendations.... NMOC
>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:15:42 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Loud amen to Michael's words below. There is a fluidity and grace to MK's
>playing that does steal the heart with a single lick...the album mentioned
>is among my favourites too. Much to celebrate with James Taylor and Van
>Morrison making vocal appearances. But it's about tone eh, with MK coaxing
>the sweetest sounds ever from a 59 blonde 335 straight into a Fender
>Bassman of the same vintage (no doubt a bit of reverb splashed in at the
>board.) And his legendary strat tone stands alone. It does tend to run off
>with the heart, as Michael mentioned in his post. What a master.
>
>cheers,
>
>bruce
>
>Michael <mbtigger@charter.net> wrote:
>
>And lastely something you might NOT like, but I think is one of the best
>albums of the last 3 years. Mark Knopfler "Sailing to Philidelphia".
>Listening to the way he makes his guitar sing on that album almost makes me
>want to cry.

>Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB
in your Hotmail account. Click here  http://join.msn.com/