Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - The Hip

Dave Schultz dschultz29@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:00:27 -0400

Hi Curtis,

I've seen them three times, all on the ARA tours '93, '95 & '97. All times I
thought they were awesome.
But I guess it shows that I'm not a huge fan, as I've never paid to see them
when it's just them on the bill - but I do this for very few larger bands,
more cause of my thin bankroll than anything else (Wilco a couple months
back & R.E.M. this Sept will be rare $20+ concert indulgences.)
I never heard anyone before tell me of Gord doing the same rants over and
over again, but probably cause people who follow them are slavish fans (&
they did used to have a lot of these). They seem to have stalled musically,
or maybe more properly gone backwards, since trying to broaden on Day for
Night and TATHH, and I think the decline in interest in them reflects this.
Plus how do you keep the rants sounding fresh as opposed to just histronics?
Mind you, I know many people who saw them at last year's Bluesfest here in
Ottawa (& I would have too had I been in town), and I'm told they still
smoke live! Gord Downie & this backing band put on a good show at this
year's edition of the festival, too, btw, which I saw.
Anyway, I think its safe to say the Hip have way more 'on' than 'off'
nights, and when they are on, they're better than just about any band out
there! (Which reminds me, its too bad Moist broke up - I'd never buy a
record, but holy mac were they awesome live! Also, yes they're a bit silly,
but Sum 41 are great live too. Just try not to crush the 14 yr old girls.)

Cheers,
Dave