Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Blues

Tom Spencer tr_espen@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:44:47 +1000 (EST)

Dear Dave (and anyone else who might have read my
earlier email),

Please don't bother to respond to my previous email,
if you were intending to do so. I retract it. Kate is
right to focus on what we can DO instead.

Tom

> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:48:32 -0400
> To: Bruce Robertson <the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca>
> From: Kate Parker Adams <kate@dnki.net>
> Subject: Re: [Powderworks] VLMOC: anti-Americanism,
> so-called
> CC: Tom Davies <minuteparticular@yahoo.com.au>,
> powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
>
> At 06:50 PM 4/15/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:
> >On the Oils being anti-American, aren't we more
> interested in
> >understanding what the Oils are FOR? I'm no rocket
> surgeon, but figuring
> >out what's wrong with the world comes pretty easy
> to me, and I assume most
> >of us. 'Where do we go from here'  would be a more
> pressing - and
> >promising - question IMO.
>
> I think this also ties into the whole boycott thread
> ... misguided and not
> terribly constructive in a global sense.
>
> If you listen to Pete's rantings and read his
> website, there is much that
> he has to say about sustainability, about the web of
> life, about
> precaution.  Much of that starts with making the
> choice to buy local
> products and from local merchants whenever you
> possibly can.
>
> I bought several items today that were made in
> America, and the important
> thing about all of them was that they were purchased
> from local
> merchants.  Instead of going to the McDonald's in
> the food court in the
> hospital area, I bought from the food co-op and the
> local ice-cream
> truck.  Got my organic fair trade coffee from a
> local coffee house (with a
> free coupon from the fiery and hip little local free
> paper no less!)
> instead of being patronized by a latte ventil
> barristro pretentiomonium at
> Starbuquitous a block away . I bought bike inner
> tubes from a local bike
> shop, not from a corporate bigbox - they won't give
> me a massbike member
> discount anyway.  I paid the mortgage at the local
> bank that holds our loan
> in portfolio five years after we moved in (rare -
> usually, mortgages are
> sold fast), and made a deposit at my credit union.
> I did all of this while
> commuting to and from work on a bike.
>
> Given corporate hegemony in certain areas, it simply
> isn't possible to
> totally avoid the merchandising machine.  But you
> don't have to make a
> perfection campaign out of it, you just have to
> realise that sometimes you
> have choices, and that buying locally benefits your
> community and buying
> local goods is usually a vastly more sustainable
> choice due to the
> environmental costs of transit alone.
>
> Ken Geiser, a mentor of mine at the Lowell Center
> for Sustainable
> Production, has been on a positivist kick as of
> late, urging all and sundry
> [...]

=====
Put down that weapon, or we'll all be gone.
You must be crazy, if you think you're strong.
         - Midnight Oil

I disown any ads associated with this email.