Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Fwd: The war ... not funny

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:00:09 -0230 (NDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Anna Offler wrote:

I find it amazing that both sides of these kinds of debates feel they have
a monopoly on truth and unbiased judgement.  Life is a damn messy affair,
so there is a lot to decry AND a lot to support about the US-led invasion
of Iraq.  Personally I support it, though with great trepidation and
regret.  But that's not what I want to talk about in this post...

Instead I'd like to point out that because the US is a global superpower
and its power structure is still essentially in the hands of rich whites,
people feel justified and free to make the kind of blanket anti-US and
stereotypical comments that would have those same people foaming at the
mouth with rage if they were made about any other cultural group.

Your run-of-the-mill American is no better or worse than the average joe
from any other nation.  And whatever their faults, the people of the US
have created a society with MANY elements to be damn proud of, even if
many others still need a lot of work...  The same is true of all our
modern democracies, and we have no right to be smug and sanctimonious
towards Americans.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I've heard so much virulent
anti-Americanism here, and more disturbingly amongst my fellow Canadians,
that I just wanted to show in a public forum that (whatever our
differences) The Great White North is still friendly territory for our
American cousins.  I suspect this is particularly true here in
Newfoundland, where we only joined Canada in 1949 and have long-standing
and close historical ties to the US (not that Canada doesn't, which is why
my fellow Canadians should know better than to have a "high and mighty"
attitude towards our southern neighbours).

Mike Blackwood
(puts on flame-retardant gear just in case)