Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: E&S&M/Loves on Sale

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:08:11 -0400

> PS: Nobody's answered my question, though: What was
> the original inspiration?

Matthew,
I always took it as a critique of capitalism/materialism in general.
"everything you've ever wanted, you've got to pay for / it seems so easy and
gettable, yes it's real."  The idea that money can buy happiness, which is
not true.  I see your internet reference -- the idea of living a virtual
life which some people do in online games (no flames, gamers!  I love y'all,
especially when you remember that you have a real life too!).
The idea that it's possible to buy whatever you want in this world, but none
of it can replace what's really real, which is (IMO) human relationships,
the things/issues we are passionate about, those things "written in the
heart."
Hell, with the advent of the web, you can buy absolutely ANYTHING!  If you
have the money to pay for it.  You can even get a mail-order bride from
Eastern Asia, or you can dial up a 900-number and get "love" over the phone,
after you give them your credit card.
Just my 0.2.
--Glitch Baby

got your last meal filled up with pesticide
hamburger chain third world infanticide
got robot car your job will disappear
it's called the politics of a brand new year
some say that's progress i say that's cruel

--midnight oil