Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC raging against the world

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:05:16 -0400

--=====================_47180461==_.ALT

At 09:33 PM 9/27/02 +1200, Brian Jacobs wrote:
 >>No, we aren't essentially good, and no, there isn't some "just God" in
the sky who will
 >>punish the wicked and bless the good.

 >Man, what a sad thought.  I kinda feel sorry for you.
 >BJ

I don't want to get into any debates here about the existence of God ...
I've got too much on my plate anyway.  We all look for truth we can live
with, but it comes in different forms and we need to respect each other's
journeys as being valid.

Violence and insanity are the price we pay for sentience ... as complexity
increases so do the chances that things can go completely haywire in truly
powerful ways.  But I disagree that humans act violently in contrast to
their own best interests ... they just do so for short-term purposes and
for their individual needs rather than our collective survival.

Regardless of your religious orientation, the best any of us can do is to
try to leave this place a little tidier than we found it.  Chaos theory
holds that it is often small levers which can direct and control systems -
unmeasurable, imperceptable, often overlooked forces which are magnified
through cycles and iterations to create large scale perturbations in the
system.

If you pray or meditate, the energy you use to do so may be of those small
forces in the chaos.  The work of Larry Dossey, who has researched the
influence of groups of people praying or meditating or ruminating on a
specific task makes me wonder this openly.  If you do not seek a "higher
power" or even believe in an amorphous universal life energy as I do,
consider the simple possibility that small acts, not sweeping and grandiose
gestures, may win the day if there are enough of them and they are
consistently performed and applied.

With that I will attach the latest in the series of e-mails from a woman in
Ivory Coast.  Linda Sharp, a close friend of my mother, has dedicated her
life to improving the conditions under which people in that country live by
establishing a clinic in a rural area and providing health care and support
for the local people.  She may be fleeing for her life as we speak.

Please keep her chaos in your thoughts.

Kate