Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What lyrics!

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:31:07 +0100 (BST)

On Sep 25, Brian Jacobs wrote:

> I was thinking today, one of my favorite things about the Oils is the fact that their lyrics are so consistently good.  And, when they do miss, they aren't cringe-worthy.  This came to me as I was listening to Achtung Baby.  Consider "One" where this most triumphant lyric:
>
> Have you come here for forgivness?
> Have you come to raise the dead?
> Have you come here to play Jesus
> To the lepers in your head?
>
> is followed immediately by this "gem":
>
> Did I ask too much?
> More than a lot?
> You gave me nothing
> Now it's all I got.

Come on, is it possible that you're forgetting just how much emotion is in
that song, and what an important factor personal opinion is. That last
portion of the lyrics to me is extremely poignant (possibly an incorrect
spelling.) I remember listening to that portion just after a 5 year
relationship ended, and it struck an amazing chord with me. It completely
captured how I felt at the time and in a way brought comfort to me.

It may not be the world's most beautiful poetry, but I view it as being
appropriate. In the same way many guitarists will say that it's not the
notes you play, it's the notes you don't play that matter.

U2 are one of the world's most prolific bands, and that is in no small
part due to the wealth of extremely strong lyrics that feature on their
songs. Taken in the context you have given, it is easy to see the last
portion above as being worse than very bad poetry - in the context of the
song, I find it to be perfect.

"Was it the time of year, that makes a state of fear"

Not the world's best lyric either, but in the context of the song, I think
it suits and has impact.

In the end, it's all art really, and it's very much subject to personal
opinion.

Cheers,

--
Maurice R. Kelly