Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (NMOC) Canadian Celebrities

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:49:25 -0400 (EDT)

--- Mike Blackwood <mikeb@cs.mun.ca> wrote:

> I had no idea his dwelling had been found.  How
> do they know it was
> his after almost 1000 years?  Was it really
> discovered in Iceland?  i
> would have thought Greenland would have been more
> likely...

The article I read said a bunch of Icelandic
historians unearthed a hut that was Snorri's, and it
was definitely in Iceland. His family is alleged to
have done very well exploiting material brought back
from Vinland - sounds familiar, eh? - and thus his
'hut' was palatial, insofar as a stone and sod hut can
be anything other than cold and damp. It looked like
pictures of the structures at L'Anse Meadows. Anyway,
these historians and archaelogists were all worked up,
my gawd, toasting and carrying on as only a bunch of
Nordic ex-Newfies could - a regular SNORR-fest, my old
son - and all in the public library or some such
place. I immediately rang up my buddy from St. John's
and we had a good laugh.

cheers,

bruce