Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (NMOC) Canadian Celebrities

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:50:39 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> BTW ~ Mike, did you hear about Snorri, the Icelandic
> Newf? First Noram born Viking, apparently, who's hut
> they unearthed in Iceland last week. Seems he was
> quite a legend these past 1 000 years - the first
> Canadian celebrity export, and the first Newf to leave
> home to make it rich, I'd allow b'y   :)

I didn't know about the hut being uncovered, but his mother brought him
back from Vinland (the colony on great northern peninnsula of
Newfoundland) as a young child.  The colony only lasted 15 to 25 years,
and eventually the Norse provoked enough hostility with the natives to get
themselves driven out.  I worked for the Newfoundland Museum's exhibit
"Full Circle, First Contact" back in 2000 (the 1000th anniversary of Leif
Erikson founding the Vinland Colony), so Snorri was a well-known topic for
me.  I had no idea his dwelling had been found.  How do they know it was
his after almost 1000 years?  Was it really discovered in Iceland?  i
would have thought Greenland would have been more likely...

Mike

ps: we named our Knarr (a small Viking skiff) replica Snorri during the
Full Circle Exhibit.