Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Yet another whiff of non-Oils music

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

--- Jeremy Oviatt <joviatt@bowg.com> wrote:

> This is an honest look at my Non-Midnight Oil music
> choices--some of you
> may understand, some of you will not.  Diversity
> rules!

Yes, Jeremy! And as the Romans used to say:

"De gustibus non disputandum est*."

So here are a few faves from an altogether neglected
and abused genre:

COUNTRY!   :)
Runaway Train : Steve Morse
Illegal Smile : John Prine
I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry : Hank Williams
The Human Kind : Roy Forbes
She's Ugly From the Front: Lyle Lovett

Most Emotive Song :
"If I Could I Would" by Larry Carleton

Best Rock n Roll Song :
"Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry

Greatest Band nobody Else has ever heard of:
Blla Blla Blla (2 Serbs + 2 Albanians from Macedonia
doing Balkan/Jazz/Rock fusion...these guys could've
prevented at least 2 world wars)

BTW You know you're getting old when not only do you
not recognize many of the bands posted by fellow
workers, but you also fail to grasp the socio/psychic
significance of their names.

Rock on, youth

bruce in calgary

* "Taste must not be disputed."