Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Favorite non-Oils music

ninas ninajill73@hotmail.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:45:14 -0400

y'all had to suck me in, didn't you?! i tried to resist - and did pretty
well resisting on the least/most favorite oils category - too impossible,
but i thought i'd jump into this one.

mind you, the oils are #1 for every category they fit into, but since this
is non-oils, i will pick second favorites. - and keep in mind that these
answers could change tomorrow. it's all what i'm in the mood for at his
moment. there really isn't just one answer for any question, so in some
categories, i may include more that one answer, so here goes...

>>> Favorite Artist:
>>
> Garbage
> The Catherine Wheel
>>
>>> Favorite Album:
>>
> The Lion and the Cobra - Sinead O'Connor
> 101 - Depeche Mode
> Happy Days - The Catherine Wheel
> Garbage - Garbage
>>
>>> Favorite Song:
>>
> Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Smiths
>>

>>> Favorite album by a female artist:
>>
> The Lion and the Cobra - Sinead O'Connor
>>

>>> Favorite song by a female artist:
>>
> I Want Your (Hands on Me) - Sinead O'Connor
>>

>>> Favorite Performance by a solo artist:
>>
> Morrissey in New Jersey in the summer of 1990
> Sinead in New Jersey in the summer of 1990
(what a great summer that was! - oils toured then too :)

>>> Favorite rock song:
(really? just one? this is impossible...um...)

> Mamma - Genesis
>>
>>> Favorite rap/hip-hop song:
>>
> Rapper's Delight - Sugar Hill Gang
>>
>>> Favorite country song:
>>
> the closest i can come to even having any knowledge of country is Social
Distortion's cover of 'ball and chain' by Johnny Cash

>>> Favorite metal/industrial/elektronika song:
>>
> Head Like Hole  or Down In It (it's a toss up)- Nine Inch Nails
> Blasphemous Rumors - Depeche Mode
>>

>>> Favorite "not-so serious" artist:
>>
> They Might Be Giants (Flood is a great album!)
>>

>>> Best music to celebrate to:
>>
> Cheesy 80's music
>>
>>> Best music after a crappy, crappy day:
>>
> Jame Taylor
>>
>>> Best music to fall in love to:
>>
> Marvin Gay
>>
>>> Best music to pump you up:
>>
> Depehe Mode or New Order
>>
>>> Best music to mellow out to:
>>
> The Smiths (well, except for the more lively songs)
>>
>>> Most emotional music:
>>
> what kind of emotion? - i don't really cry to music if that's what you're
asking - ok, maybe i did when i was 15, but didn't we all cry for no reason
then anyway??!!

>>> Best song/album from the 60s or before:
>>
> C.S.N.Y
> Simon and Garfunkel
>>
>>> 70s:
>>
> Abacab - Genesis (i have to check, but this may actually be '80)
> Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
> James Taylor - James Taylor
>>
>>> 80s:
>>
> um everything??!! ok, here's a small sampling (in addition to albums named
above)...
> Standing on the beach (the singles) - The Cure
> The Queen in Dead - The Smiths
> Life's Rich Pageant - REM
> Zenyatta Mondatta - The Police (is this really late 70's?)
> Substance - New Order  and  Substance - Joy Division
> Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails (is this really '90?)
> some others: The Clash, The Fixx, Echo and the Bunneymen, Love and Rockets,
The Wonderstuff, The Charlatan UK

>>> 90s and 00s:
>>
> all of Garbage's albums
> all of The Catherine Wheel's albums
> Of Someday Shambles - Jebediah

>>> Best Soundtrack:
>>
> Pretty in Pink!!!
>>
>>> Your current "guilty pleasure:"
>>
> The Hooters - i can't believe i'm confessing this. shhhh. don't tell :)
>>
>>> Name one more song you like that you haven't mentioned yet:
> just one more??? - sorry can't do it :)
> Under the Milky Way  - The Church
> Dear God  - XTC
> Sheriff Fatman  - Carter USM