Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Other bands survey

Dan Heaton dnheaton@yahoo.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:00:06 -0700 (PDT)

I apologize in advance for the length of this message.
These other-bands discussions always suck me in.

It’s impossible for me to even narrow down my 20
favorite bands or songs, but here’s some that I like
in Chris' format.

Favorite Artist(s): here’s a few good ones
Bad Religion – melodic punk rock with strong,
intellectual messages
The Connells – wonderful pop-rock from North Carolina
Yo La Tengo – perfectly meshes quiet, mellow tracks
with crazy noise creations
Belle & Sebastian – beautiful pop group from Scotland
The Roots – excellent hip-hop group that plays own
instruments

Favorite Album: (impossible to pick, but here’s some
great ones)
The Beatles: Rubber Soul (enough said)
Wilco: Being There (remarkable double album from one
of the best bands out there)
Guided by Voices: Bee Thousand (a low-fi masterpiece)
Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life (two discs of
r&b gems that remain poignant today)

Favorite Song: (I have no idea. Here’s a few good
choices.)
Luna: California All the Way (great summer song)
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road or Jungleland
(classics)
Elvis Costello: Allison

Favorite album by a female artist:
Juliana Hatfield: Hey Babe
Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Sleater Kinney – Dig Me Out

Favorite song by a female artist:
Aimee Mann – Wise Up

Favorite Performance by a solo artist:
I don’t know what was my favorite, but seeing Elvis
Costello in 1998 at the American Theater in St. Louis
was unbelievable.

Favorite rock song:
Wow, this is broad. Here’s some great examples:
Guided by Voices – "Teenage FBI"
Pavement – "Stereo"
The Ramones – "Blitzkrieg Bop"
The Clash – too many to choose from

Favorite rap/hip-hop song:
Public Enemy: "Fight the Power" or "Bring the Noise"
A Tribe Called Quest: "Buggin’ Out" or "Can I Kick
It?"
Also tracks by Black Star, Busta Rhymes, the Roots,
Common, etc.

Favorite country song:
"Crazy" by Patsy Cline
"Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash

Favorite metal/industrial/elektronika song:
"Take California" by the Propellerheads (electronika)

Favorite "not-so serious" artist:
They Might Be Giants (until their recent junk)

Best music to celebrate to:
Kool n’ the Gang?  Seriously, I’m drawing a blank.
Lots of possibilities here.

Best music after a crappy, crappy day:
Moby

Best music to fall in love to:
Pretty much any Motown song, especially by Smokey
Robinson or the Temptations

Best music to pump you up:
Lots of punk rock, including Bad Religion,
Rancid/Operation Ivy, Face to Face, and the Bouncing
Souls; or electronic music by the Chemical Brothers or
Propellerheads

Best music to mellow out to:
Beth Orton, Miles Davis, Sterolab, Flaming Lips

Most emotional music:
Billie Holiday, Bjork, plenty of others

Best song/album from the 60s or before:
Anything by the Beatles
Jimi Hendrix – Are You Experienced?
The Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed

70s:
Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
Stevie Wonder – Innervisions
Elvis Costello – My Aim is True

80s:
REM – Life’s Rich Pageant or Reckoning
Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
Blake Babies - Sunburn

90s and 00s: (from bands I haven’t mentioned yet)
Superchunk – No Pocket for Kitty
Fugazi – Repeater
Uncle Tupelo – Anodyne
Old 97’s – Too Far to Care