Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: These should not be forgotten years (NMOC)

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:23:09 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1947453035-1031754189=:66502

 I think I appreciate America most when I try to imagine the world without her...
Time to Heal,
bruce in calgary
  GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote: I'm with Brian.
To remember and mourn the people who died or were hurt last September 11th doesn't make one a jingoistic, flag-waving xenophobe. It makes one human.
The unspeakable question that people in other countries have asked, and some of us have done so here as well: did the American government bring this on its people through its foreign policies? (Well, it's not like I'm a Midnight Oil fan just because they rock so hard!) That's certainly possible, although it's still difficult for me to believe that such an evil thing could be done to innocents on purpose. I know it happened; I just can't wrap my mind around the hatred.
Did the people going to work that day deserve what happened to them? I don't think that's up for argument. Not even the people in the Pentagon. Most of these folks were  just trying to earn a living and provide for their families; they were civilians, at the very least.
No one should have had to suffer the mass murders and grievous human damage committed that day. (Or on many others, for that matter, but this is the one of which we speak.)
Hey, call me crazy, but America has also done some good things in its time. I'm not going to reiterate them here, but you all can have a think about it if you like.
As for the bad things, and there are many, I'm not one to shirk personal responsibility, but another fact remains: lots of awful stuff done in 'our' name was NOT accomplished with the full consent of all the American people, or even their knowledge much of the time.
America has been vain, arrogant and a swaggering bully on occasion; we've also been the light of the world. Just because we don't live up to the ideal much of the time doesn't mean that the ideal has lost all value.
All I know is that my city, my HOME, was horrendously damaged -- not quite destroyed, although that was the intent -- and that thousands of innocent people were vaporized. And they were the lucky ones.
Daddies and mommies aren't ever coming home; husbands and wives, sisters and brothers, best friends, of all nationalities, belief systems and personalities -- gone to dust in an instant. There's a ripple effect that will never go away, and it should make all human beings sick at heart.
It's a sin and a crime wherever and whenever it happens.
I'm aware that terrible cataclysms, committed by human hands, have occurred in other places and times. But never quite like this, I don't think. And just as I've grieved for the others lost to history, I cry for these particular people now.
And I fear for ALL of us on this planet if we can't learn how to resolve our differences without destroying each other and the precious globe we tread upon.

--0-1947453035-1031754189=:66502

<P> I think I appreciate America most when I try to imagine the world without her...
<P>Time to Heal,
<P>bruce in calgary
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>GrnVillageGirl@aol.com</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><FONT face=arial,helvetica>I'm with Brian.<BR>To remember and mourn the people who died or were hurt last September 11th doesn't make one a jingoistic, flag-waving xenophobe. It makes one human.<BR>The unspeakable question that people in other countries have asked, and some of us have done so here as well: did the American government bring this on its people through its foreign policies? (Well, it's not like I'm a Midnight Oil fan just because they rock so hard!) That's certainly possible, although it's still difficult for me to believe that such an evil thing could be done to innocents on purpose. I <I>know</I> it happened; I just can't wrap my mind around the hatred.<BR>Did the people going to work that day deserve what happened to them? I don't think that's up for argument. Not even the people in the Pentagon. Most of these folks were&nbsp; just trying to earn a living and provide for their families; they were civilians, at the very least.<BR>No one should have had to suffer the mass murders and grievous human damage committed that day. (Or on many others, for that matter, but this is the one of which we speak.)<BR>Hey, call me crazy, but America has also done some good things in its time. I'm not going to reiterate them here, but you all can have a think about it if you like.<BR>As for the bad things, and there are many, I'm not one to shirk personal responsibility, but another fact remains: lots of awful stuff done in 'our' name was NOT accomplished with the full consent of all the American people, or even their knowledge much of the time. <BR>America has been vain, arrogant and a swaggering bully on occasion; we've also been the light of the world. Just because we don't live up to the ideal much of the time doesn't mean that the ideal has lost all value.<BR>All I know is that my city, my HOME, was horrendously damaged -- not quite destroyed, although that was the intent -- and that thousands of innocent people were vapo
--0-1947453035-1031754189=:66502--