Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Stand Your Ground live in OZ

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:28:27 -0400 (EDT)

--0-2029409831-1031689707=:12651

Greetings Powder Rangers,

     Imagine my sheer cybernetic ecstasy when I returned to my job after 14 months, logged on and found 4 Oils sound clips intact on my desktop (no ghost in this machine.) Well, there is a gorgeous little tune called _STAND YOUR GROUND_ recorded live in a raucous club somewhere in OZ before Capricornia (I'm guessing it's Dec. 2000 - Feb. 2001.) The sound quality is heinous, but the song is wonderful, featuring a spoken intro by Peter which goes..."We'd like to do another new one...think of it as a talent quest in which the band has been around so long nobody remembers what they sound like." It's delightful in that inimitable PG way. The opening notes sound a wee bit like US Forces, but then quickly lurch into a different vibe, with opening lyrics :"Your worship is not my problem. I fell in with the wrong crowd." The tune is fantastic and there's some absolutely stunning guitar work all flanged, phased and spaced. Rob takes the tune out with a strange little country western shuffle that absolutely takes off. My guess is the fellas had fun with this one. And then I have to ask:

Whatever happened to this gem, and will it ever see the light of day?

BTW the other tracks are clearly identifiable but lyrically evolving versions of Luritja Way, Tone Poem and Golden Age. LW is neat as Pete just sings "I still remember you" as opposed to "I'm reaching out..."

     I vaguely recall downloading them during the pre CAP. OZ tour around Christmas 2000, after an OZ worker posted them to the list around that time. For the past two weeks I've been a mass of quivering pixels humming Stand Your Ground and feeling fairly smug. So I thought I'd ask, in hopes of finding out more about it, and if it might be included on an album somewhere down the road, or if anybody remembers anything about it from shows in OZ or NORAM....it's a great tune. (Aren't they all?) Can any enlighten? Be still, my throbbing mouse!   :)

bruce in calgary

"Words that used to be scrawled on the wall, are written in the heart"

PS   Thanks especially to Oz workers for the help in isolating that Didgee sound in Luritja Way. I think Jim Stanley's dead on with a looped synth sound creating a perceived Didgee being most likely. Good ears mate.

--0-2029409831-1031689707=:12651

<P>Greetings Powder Rangers,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Imagine my sheer cybernetic ecstasy when I returned to my job after 14 months, logged on and found 4 Oils sound clips intact on my desktop (no ghost in this machine.) Well, there is a gorgeous little tune called _STAND YOUR GROUND_ recorded live in a raucous club somewhere in OZ before Capricornia (I'm guessing it's&nbsp;Dec. 2000 -&nbsp;Feb. 2001.) The sound quality is heinous, but the song is wonderful, featuring a spoken intro by Peter which goes..."We'd like to do another new one...think of it as a talent quest in which the band has been around so long nobody remembers what they sound like." It's delightful in that inimitable PG way. The opening notes sound a wee bit like US Forces, but then quickly lurch into a different vibe, with opening lyrics :"Your worship is not my problem. I fell in with the wrong crowd." The tune is fantastic and there's&nbsp;some absolutely stunning guitar work all flanged, phased and spaced.&nbsp;Rob takes the tune out with a strange little country western shuffle that absolutely takes off. My guess is the fellas had fun with this one. And then I have to ask:</P>
<P>Whatever happened to this gem, and will it ever see the light of day?</P>
<P>BTW the other tracks are clearly identifiable but lyrically evolving versions of Luritja Way, Tone Poem and Golden Age. LW is neat as Pete just sings "I still remember you" as opposed to "I'm reaching out..." </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I vaguely recall downloading them during the pre CAP. OZ tour around Christmas 2000, after an OZ worker posted them to the list around that time.&nbsp;For the past two weeks I've been a mass of quivering pixels humming Stand Your Ground and feeling fairly smug. So I thought I'd ask, in hopes of finding out more about it, and if it might be included on an album somewhere down the road, or if anybody remembers anything about it from shows in OZ or NORAM....it's a great tune. (Aren't they all?) Can any enlighten? Be still, my throbbing mouse!&nbsp;&nbsp; :)</P>
<P>bruce in calgary</P>
<P>"Words that used to be scrawled on the wall, are written in the heart"</P>
--0-2029409831-1031689707=:12651--