Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bash

Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant v-morant@onu.edu
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:41:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0326_01C277D1.6BA46000

I should make a couple more observations on the heels of my own remarks =
about Breathe and Redneck Wonderland.  Actually I shouldn't, but I will.

Surf's up tonight is a good song.  Barest Degree is pretty good.  Home =
is wonderful.  The contrast and compliment between Peter Garrett's voice =
and Emmylou Harris's voice come together with those poignant words to =
cast a nice mix of masculine and feminine feelings in that song.  It's =
all sung from one person's point of view, but Emmylou Harris's part =
brings a new dimension to the feelings.

Sins of Omission has a nice sound in the bridge where they sing, "And I =
feel like we're coming around," but none of the rest of the song . . . . =
 Well, how should I put this?  The rest of that song and a lot of the =
rest of the stuff on the album . . . .

Let me put it this way.  As I said, the song Redneck Wonderland is =
fairly entertaining (fun to bop your head back and forth to, for =
instance).  I should also say that The Great Gibber Plain and Seeing is =
believing are all right.  Before I ever heard that whole record, though, =
I was horrified by the release of the songs White Skin Black Heart and =
What Goes On, because those songs didn't even sound like music to me, =
and I later learned that there was a lot more where that came from.  =
What was starting to bore or annoy me on several of the tracks from =
Breathe became much worse on Redneck Wonderland.  The anger and the =
sorrow and the other emotions were still there in the songs, but =
suddenly it sounded like the emotions were being written into music by =
someone with much less experience and intelligence.  I hate to sound =
like the grandpa around here, but a lot of it was more like noise than =
like music.

And a lot of the words were mixes of different images or metaphors that =
weren't very coherent.  I mean, come on.  "The milky way is =
emasculated"?  What's that about?

Breathe still gets on my stereo from time to time.  Surf's up and Home =
are good tunes, so I just select 2 and 10 on that CD and enjoy.

-Virgil.

P.S.: I must say I am very disappointed with the people on this list to =
see that you are openly engaging in illegal activities.  Could you =
please sell your weed somewhere else?

And, let me tell you something, weed will never give you the kind of =
natural high you get from just leading a clean life and listening to =
good music.

Can I get an "Amen!"

------=_NextPart_000_0326_01C277D1.6BA46000

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I should make a couple more observations on the heels of my own =
remarks=20
about <EM>Breathe</EM> and <EM>Redneck Wonderland</EM>.&nbsp; Actually I =

shouldn't, but I will.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Surf's up tonight</EM> is a good song.&nbsp; <EM>Barest =
Degree</EM> is=20
pretty good.&nbsp; <EM>Home</EM> is wonderful.&nbsp; The contrast and =
compliment=20
between Peter Garrett's voice and Emmylou Harris's voice come together =
with=20
those poignant words to cast a nice&nbsp;mix of masculine and feminine =
feelings=20
in that song.&nbsp; It's all sung from one person's point of view, but =
Emmylou=20
Harris's part brings a new dimension to the feelings.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Sins of Omission</EM> has a nice sound in the bridge where they =
sing,=20
"And I feel like we're coming around," but none of the rest of the song =
. . .=20
.&nbsp; Well, how should I put this?&nbsp; The rest of that song and a =
lot of=20
the rest of the stuff on the album . . . .</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Let me put it this way.&nbsp; As I said, the song <EM>Redneck=20
Wonderland</EM> is fairly entertaining (fun to&nbsp;bop your head back =
and forth=20
to, for instance).&nbsp; I should also say that <EM>The Great Gibber =
Plain</EM>=20
and <EM>Seeing is believing</EM> are all right.&nbsp; Before I ever =
heard that=20
whole record, though, I was horrified by the release of the songs =
<EM>White Skin=20
Black Heart</EM> and <EM>What Goes On</EM>, because those songs didn't =
even=20
sound like music to me, and I later learned that there was a lot more =
where that=20
came from.&nbsp; What was starting to bore or annoy me on several of the =
tracks=20
from <EM>Breathe</EM> became much worse on <EM>Redneck =
Wonderland</EM>.&nbsp;=20
The anger and the sorrow and the other emotions were still there in the =
songs,=20
but suddenly it sounded like the emotions were being&nbsp;written into =
music by=20
someone with much less experience and intelligence.&nbsp; I hate to =
sound like=20
the grandpa around here, but a lot of it was more like noise than like=20
music.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And a lot of the words were mixes of different images or metaphors =
that=20
weren't very coherent.&nbsp; I mean, come on.&nbsp; "The milky way is=20
emasculated"?&nbsp; What's that about?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Breathe</EM> still gets on my stereo from time to time.&nbsp;=20
<EM>Surf's up</EM> and <EM>Home</EM> are good tunes, so I just select 2 =
and 10=20
on that CD and enjoy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-Virgil.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>P.S.: I must say I am very disappointed with the people on this =
list to see=20
that you are openly engaging in illegal activities.&nbsp; Could you =
please sell=20
your weed somewhere else?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And, let me tell you something, weed will never give you the kind =
of=20
natural high you get from just leading a clean life and listening to =
good=20
music.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Can I get an "Amen!"</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0326_01C277D1.6BA46000--