Midnight Oil

Sv: RE: [Powderworks] M-One - Sydney

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:33:42 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 CYakaAL@aol.com wrote:

> As for Billy Idol...the man has been a loser for a number of years.
>
> Personally, any band that performs at a sporting event without making a
> political statement is a SELLOUT.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want any "intellectual" band blowing such an
opportunity to make a statement of some kind, but would you really want
the likes of Mr. Idol trying to be socially relevant?  Anyway, Billy's
music is foolish fun, and to my knowledge he's never pretented it was
otherwise.  Almost all professional sports have become
appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denomenator pop-culture entertainment just
like top-40 music, so having the 2 go hand in hand doesn't offend me (not
that it appeals to me either).  I just figure harmless fluff + harmless
fluff = innocuous entertainment for those who like such things.

> Yes that includes U2, Sheryl Crow (apparently she's going for a 2nd
> appearance during our baseball playoffs), Aerosmith...please feel free to add
> to my list.

Umm... maybe some of these performers are actually fans of the sport/team
they performed before?  Even "serious" artists are allowed to have
frivolous interests.

Hold together,
Mike "Elixir" Blackwood