Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Swedish review of Cap

Magnus Holmgren oznut@swipnet.se
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 23:34:51 +0100

Workers,

I found a review of Capricornia in the online edition of my local newspaper. It's given 3/5 ears. Some questionable "facts" in this review though...

http://www.arbetarbladet.se/pagang/article.php?id=135228&avdelning_1&avdelning_2=111

Quick dirty translation:

With "Capricornia", the Australian and politically rocking Midnight Oil is back with new material. It's been four years since the last time, but Midnight Oil's roots actually stretch 25 years back in time. And they continue to produce what people expect from them, a mix of melodic, sparse and thoughtful biceps-rock with steelstringed guitars as the inexorable foundation. The red Australian dust sort of refuses to settle on this band, with charismatic bald singer Peter Garett. Garett, who not only writes political lyrics, almost won a senators election a couple of years ago. And a big part of the money the band make go to Greenpeace and other environmental organizations, cause we do now that Midnight Oil wonders "why do we sleep while our beds are burning?". No song like that is on "Capricornia" though.

But it sure is a record that won't make the hardcore fans dissapointed even if it isn't a new "Diesel and dust", the bands strongest record in my opinion, from 1987.

While their political pitch has softened a bit, the lyrics are maybe not as direct now, they have not given up their special style and typical sound. There are no surprises, but songs like "World that I see" and "Golden age" are spot on sunday-morning-delights.

After 25 years in the game Midnight Oil still stand up for their thing. No need for feather dusters.

Sven Melin

WebMail från Tele2 http://www.tele2.se