Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Songwriting

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:29:29 -0500 (EST)

--0-1845061918-1038266969=:53686

Great choices! Funny, I just listened to E + S + M last night while out for a stroll, and after not hearing it for a couple of months I was shocked at how awesome it sounded. It doesn't get a lot of treatment on the list - good or bad -  but it's an absolute masterpiece. I too especially like the swirling Leslie/B3 stuff. If I reckon right, then the lads would've been in the 35 - 40  range age-wise, arguably in the prime of life, and IMO the music reflects this - very confident, ballsy, brave and well past the more obnoxious vibe of some angst-ridden-youth-rock... 'mature' may be the word I'm groping for. Every song on that album has a completeness about it; and I"m guessing the band spent more than average time recording, engineering and mixing to nail the sound. Perhaps their most under rated work yet?
cheers,
bruce

 stephen.wood@stockford.net wrote:
However if I had to just choose a few then i would say Bushfire for sure. ... Martin Rotsey said an interview that they were
particularly proud of that one.

Renaissance Man, listen to everything that is going on in that song with
the interplay of the guitars and the hammond organ underneath, awesome.

--0-1845061918-1038266969=:53686

<P>Great choices! Funny, I just listened to E + S + M last night while out for a stroll, and after not hearing it for a couple of months I was shocked at how awesome it sounded. It doesn't get a lot of treatment on the list - good or bad -&nbsp; but it's an absolute masterpiece. I too especially like the swirling Leslie/B3 stuff. If I reckon right, then the lads would've been in the&nbsp;35 - 40&nbsp;&nbsp;range age-wise, arguably in the prime of life, and IMO the music reflects&nbsp;this - very confident, ballsy, brave&nbsp;and well past the more obnoxious&nbsp;vibe of some angst-ridden-youth-rock... 'mature' may be the word I'm groping for.&nbsp;Every song on that album has a completeness about it; and I"m guessing the band spent more than average time recording, engineering and mixing to nail the sound. Perhaps their most under rated work yet?
<P>cheers,
<P>bruce
<P>&nbsp;