Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] 60 Mins

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:14:24 -0500

A week or so ago the US version of 60 Minutes carried a story in which
they claimed that nowadays in the US, boys have fallen way behind girls
in education, thus necessitating secret "affirmative action" programs
for male applicants to colleges and universities.  The reason given for
this was that the women's movement for equal access to education had a
hidden agenda of also damaging education for males.  In other words, the
goal was not just to advance female education, but at the same time to
degrade male education.

I just sat there staring at the screen.  If the interview with PG
follows the same kind of reasoning, it oughta be worth seeing!
Transcript, please!  Inquiring minds wanna know! - Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of Nathan
Arrowsmith
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 7:27 AM
To: Craig Lawton
Cc: Powderworks
Subject: RE: [Powderworks] 60 Mins

I saw the show and it confirmed for me that I am doing the right thing
by
never watching 60 mins. To quote Austen Tayshus "48 minutes of bullshit
and
12 minutes of commercials". There is no way to know what went on because
they edit it to be exciting and confrontational and ignore the rest even
if
it is necessary to put the whole thing in context. Anyway, There's this
Danish guy, Bjorn somebody, who is minister for the environment over
there
and has written a book about how there really is no environmental
catastrophe in the making and we can just keep on burning fossil fuels
and
procreating and it will all be OK. Pete was chatting to this guy via
webcast
and basically just saying common sense stuff, he is very level-headed
and
well-informed after all. Anyway, there was a little bit of conflict
which
was probably a setup by journo Richard Carlton, and that's what the
segment
focused on. I did record it, but I don't think it's worth transcribing
actually.

On another note, I can't believe I am going to the last 2 shows of this
tour
on Wednesday and Thursday. Lucky Country indeed!

Nathan.