Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] AND WRITE YOUR SENATORS!

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 19:28:25 -0400

--=====================_1593226398==_.ALT

The United States Senate will soon be voting on the Yucca Mountain nuclear
waste dump proposal.  Your senators need to hear from you on this important
issue!  I just wrote my senators last night.  While I had personal
recollections from living in a community affected by waste shipments and
warhead transport, the talking points are essentially the same:
    * Transport is hazardous due to accidents on roadways and railways
    * Transport cannot be made secure in the age of free-agent terrorism,
at least not without serious disruption of life in the communities through
which this waste will pass
    * Yucca Mountain is a geologically inappropriate repository for waste
which will be dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years
    * Yucca Mountain is not a geotechnical solution to a technical problem:
it is a political solution to a public relations problem - meaning that if
the nuclear industry can pretend to solve the waste problem, they can
expand again
You do not need to be a US Citizen to write to the senators in your state
of residence!

Please take a moment to gather a few key facts and e-mail your US senators
in advance of this vote.  Yucca Mountain is an all kinds of bad idea, and
the more pressure we can put on our senators, the more likely a close vote
will fall in favor of good sense, good science, and the health and safety
of our citizens.

Thanks,
Kate

At 04:34 PM 5/21/02 -0400, Preeti Prasad wrote:
>Midnight Oil recently teamed up with Public Citizen (www.citizen.org) in a
>press conference in protest of the proposed nuclear waste dump at Yucca
>Mountain, Nevada.   If approved, 77,000 tons of deadly high-level
>radioactive waste through communities in 44 states en route to Yucca
>Mountain.  Yucca Mountain is in an earthquake zone and directly above the
>only source of drinking water for local residents.  The land is claimed by
>the Western Shoshone Nation under the 1863 Treaty of Ruby Valley.   A vote
>in the Senate is expected later this summer.
>
>Do your part to protect public health and safety, tell Congress not to let
>the nuclear industry dictate dangerous radioactive waste policy!
>
>Go to www.yuccapetition.org and sign our online petition opposing the
>Yucca Mountain nuclear dump.
>
>Please forward this message to your friends, family, and colleagues!
>
>For more information visit www.atomicroadshow.org.
>
>Preeti Prasad
>Public Citizen's Critical Mass Energy & Environment Program
>215 Pennsylvania Ave. SE
>Washington, DC  20003
>ph. 202-454-5175
>www.citizen.org/cmep

--=====================_1593226398==_.ALT

The United States Senate will soon be voting on the Yucca Mountain
nuclear waste dump proposal.&nbsp; Your senators need to hear from you on
this important issue!&nbsp; I just wrote my senators last night.&nbsp;
While I had personal recollections from living in a community affected by
waste shipments and warhead transport, the talking points are essentially
the same:
<ul>
<li>Transport is hazardous due to accidents on roadways and railways
<li>Transport cannot be made secure in the age of free-agent terrorism,
at least not without serious disruption of life in the communities
through which this waste will pass
<li>Yucca Mountain is a geologically inappropriate repository for waste
which will be dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years
<li>Yucca Mountain is not a geotechnical solution to a technical problem:
it is a political solution to a public relations problem - meaning that
if the nuclear industry can pretend to solve the waste problem, they can
expand again
</ul>You do not need to be a US Citizen to write to the senators in your
state of residence!<br>
Please take a moment to gather a few key facts and e-mail your US
senators in advance of this vote.&nbsp; Yucca Mountain is an all kinds of
bad idea, and the more pressure we can put on our senators, the more
likely a close vote will fall in favor of good sense, good science, and
the health and safety of our citizens.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Kate<br>
At 04:34 PM 5/21/02 -0400, Preeti Prasad wrote:<br>
with Public Citizen
(<a href="http://www.citizen.org/" eudora="autourl">www.citizen.org</a>)
in a press conference in protest of the proposed nuclear waste dump at
Yucca Mountain, Nevada.&nbsp;&nbsp; If approved, 77,000 tons of deadly
high-level radioactive waste through communities in 44 states en route to
Yucca Mountain.&nbsp; Yucca Mountain is in an earthquake zone and
directly above the only source of drinking water for local
residents.&nbsp; The land is claimed by the Western Shoshone Nation under
the 1863 Treaty of Ruby Valley.&nbsp;&nbsp; A vote in the Senate is
expected later this summer.&nbsp; <br>
Do your part to protect public health and safety, tell Congress not to
let the nuclear industry dictate dangerous radioactive waste
policy!&nbsp; <br>
Go to
and sign our online petition opposing the Yucca Mountain nuclear dump.<br>
Please forward this message to your friends, family, and colleagues!<br>
Preeti Prasad<br>
Public Citizen's Critical Mass Energy &amp; Environment Program<br>
215 Pennsylvania Ave. SE<br>
Washington, DC&nbsp; 20003<br>
ph. 202-454-5175<br>